Jeffrey Coleman Carlyle

The Ruler of Earth

The Smurfs Shrooms Connection
[Earth]
Topics: [The Smurfs Shrooms Connection] [The Unusual and Absurd]

Important Note: This is a serious look at how the word Smurfs could easily be an anagram of the American-English slang term "Shrooms". There are no pictures of Smurfs on this page!

If you want serious information on the Smurfs try the Smurf's Official Website.

This connection between smurfs and shrooms was discovered Thursday, August 7, 1997.

The Connection

Remember the television show the Smurfs? We all grew up watching them; however, my friends and I were alarmed to discover that there is the possibility that the word "Smurfs" may simply be an anagram of the common Americanized English slang term "Shrooms!" The term "Shrooms" is used to refer to hallucenigenic mushrooms used as drugs. See the evidence for yourself:

  1. Reverse the spelling of Smurfs and you get SFRUMS.
  2. Remove the top line off of the F and place it to the right of the letter. (SHRUMS)
  3. Now, pronounce the U as a long U (like the U sounds in the word prune), This is the same sound as the OO sound in words like broom: SHROOMS

It seems obvious now doesn't it? The word "SMURFS" is simply the word "SHROOMS" spelled backwards. If you consider the fact that the Smurfs lived in mushrooms it makes even more sense!

This connection was discovered by Jeff along with his friends Brian Raabe and David Raney on a late summer afternoon in 1997.

( [URL for This Item] | Comments: [214 Comments] -- [View/Post Comments] )

Comments

Posted by an emailer on 27-Jun-1999 12:00AM CDT

June 27, 1999

Dear Mr. Carlyle,

Recently i was looking for a picture of the Smurfs and I came across a very disturbing page. It was yours. I am ashamed of you to be twisting around childrens television shows.I am just 13 years old but I am acting older than you! I was very surprised at this piece of rubbish. Please rethink your decision of putting this crap in front of the inocent eyes of small children. Some kids younger than me will be looking for smurfs also and will see this horrible page. How dare you twist a harmless tv show around like this!!!!!

Sincerly,

Melissa Kearse and Nicole Kelly

Posted by an emailer on 16-Sep-1999 12:00AM CDT

September 16, 1999

Dear Mr. Carlyle,

People like the ones that complain about something as trivial as making fun of a fictional TV show are a reason of why discrimination still exists. If we can not laugh about things we see everyday, (provided they are not meant to intentionally harm) then how does anyone get along in life. Anything in this world can be offensive. To nit-pick things, (i.e. infringe upon someones right to free speech in your case) only shows that this person has not come to realize that many things in this world will offend people and that it is they who should adjust. Not anyone in this world has a perfect life. I applaud you on your motion to add the disclaimer about the pictures and to not back down on the point of the page because someone found it offensive.

Robert Brown

Posted by an emailer on 4-Oct-1999 12:00AM CDT

October 4, 1999

Dear Jeff,

Hi, I am a 16 year old female and I recently came over your web (shrooms/Smurfs) I thought it was a good idea, but the other night I found out that the idea of naming a drug after "SMURFS" was already put to use. This drug is ecstacy , better known as XTC, X, (rolling). They named this drug after Smurfs because it is blue.

Kristen

Posted by an emailer on 13-Jul-2000 12:00AM CDT

July 13, 2000

Dear Mr. Carlyle,

Ecstacy (commonly known as "E" 'round these parts) is actually an umbrella term denoting a family of drugs whose common link is the presence of the chemical MDMA (methylenedioxymethamphetamine - try saying that ten times fast). The pills are cut with various other complimentary drugs, each different combination representing a kind of E (in theory, of course. This is drug culture we're talking about).

"Smurfs" are a type of E. Others include Mitsubishis, Supermen, Butterflies (of various colours), Elmos (also of various colours) and so forth. Each is supposedly cut with specific complimentary drugs - green Elmos supposedly contain acid, blue butterflies supposedly contain PCP, etc.

Oh, BTW, love your Smurf article.

cheers,

-sean

Posted by an emailer on 11-Sep-2000 12:00AM CDT

September 11, 2000

Dear Smurf fans,

Come one what else is that hole cartoon about. You have some guy that everyone thinks is nuts. Running around after little blue people that live in mushrooms. And if he captures them he can do such this as turn them into gold. I love the Smurfs growing up, but now that I have tried shrooms. I wunder if such cartoons are there only to guid people to such herbs, and those who never try such things they well never understand.

They are nothing to play with. The only think i can say to anyone that want to eat shrooms, be very open minded, and read up on what will happen to you, and you'll alwas come back from shrums. Maybe not the same person though.

Papa Smurf

Posted by an emailer on 19-Nov-2000 12:00AM CST

November 19, 2000

I read your article because I have been told thatthe origin of smurfs came from something demonic and I was trying to findout about that before letting my 8 year old continue to watch the show. I believe you're probably on to something after all huffing came around after scratch'n sniff stickers and scented markers. Thanks for the great information.

A Concerned Parent

Posted by an emailer on 14-Dec-2000 12:00AM CST

December 14, 2000

Dear Smurfs/Shrooms Fans,

I grew up to the Smurfs as a child and all I thought about was cool little blue guys who lived in mushroom houses in an enchanted forest who tried to live there lives without the bad people (Gargamel, Azreal) trying to turn them into gold or eat them. It was a great flick, but now that I have become a man I have a good idea about the whole smurfs idea.

The smurfs were always happy living in there mushroom houses (taking shrooms) until Gargamel (police/society) would try to catch them and hurt them in some way. Essentially this means that shrooms are great and should be used for anyone that wants to expand their mind, the whole structure of their belief system. For example, when Smurfet was created, she was created through Gargamel. When he created her she was even, hideous looking. After the Smurfs saved her and brought her back to their mushroom village she became beautiful and happy, loosing all memory of the bad person she once was.

Shrooms are great for anyone who likes a complete dimensional change on reality. Shrooms should not be taken by anyone who believe what they have been told all their lives, or people who think that sobriety is the only right way, otherwise you will weird out for hours and could very well hurt yourself or others. Take responsibly.

-Roger

Posted by an emailer on 21-Dec-2000 12:00AM CST

December 21, 2000

Hey Jeffrey..

Greece z with u...i totally agree thatsmurfs=shrooms!and why not?i am 20 and i grew upwatchin smurfs(my favourite cartoon andnow)!besides..smurfs r blue,small and they can give uthe perfect trip ha?:)))

Posted by an emailer on 1-Jan-2001 12:00AM CST

January 1, 2001

Dear people,

Anyone who thinks this webpage is bad is 1st off Dumb and 2nd of allhis way of "sick" thinking as some people would say makes perfectsense. Think about it The smurfs were always happy why is that becausethey live in huge shrooms. I would be happy if I lived in a big shroomfor a house. How come they always thought about peace and love onlypeople or (Smurfs) on some type of drug would only want love and peace Imean Papa Smurf could use magic and everything now if he didn't want theevil guy Gargamel always trying to eat them why didn't he just use somemagic to kill him or something. Also think about this when was the showthe smurfs made. Back in the 60's everything back in the 60's was druginduced. That is like saying Alice in wonder land doesn't have a bigcatapillar who was smoking opium in it or, just saying that whole movieisn't drug related. Also I am not saying this to be mean but who eversaid that "E" pills are blue needs to get out more often cause "E" comesin all different colors. Like a few days ago I got a pikachu "E" pill itwas yellow with a little tiny black lighting bolt on it. Also why wouldthey call a "E" pill a white zorro if it was blue. Well anyway I hopeyou can all reconsider your thoughts about this web page. People need tobe more open minded about these things.

David K.

Posted by an emailer on 9-Jan-2001 12:00AM CST

January 9, 2001

Hey,

personally I really like your thinking :)But did nobody think of the fact that the smurfs wereoriginally not called smurfs at all (I mean, theystill are from Belgium, right)-- it seems someAmerican people are still not aware that there aresome other countries outside their borders... and noteverything is coming from here :)And if Peyo wouldn't have taken shrooms... why wouldthey live in a fly agaric :-)So long and I hope you will still have fun with allthat offended people...

Michaela

Posted by an emailer on 12-Jan-2001 12:00AM CST

January 12, 2001

Fair enough, Smurfs backwards maybe be shrooms. But there is a moresinister part of the Smurfs that you have over-looked. That is that theSmurfs was propoganda for communism and anti-semitism. There are manywebsites on the net that go into great detail about why this is thecase.

Type "smurfs and communism" and see what you find. It is veryinteresting.

Nice idea as well.

Posted by an emailer on 6-Feb-2001 12:00AM CST

February 6, 2001

Hi there Jeff,

I guess that the only thing that i have to sayabout your shroom theory is that is absolutly true. I have heard about this theory since 7th grade. I am now a senior. You can see drugs in just about every cool cartoon if you just look for them. In "Scooby Doo", when the whole crew opens the door to the "Mystery Machine", if you look you can see smoke rolling around inside the van. Its right in the begining of every show. Love the article, a little far fetched with the moving of lines and all.

Faithful cartoon observer,

Marvin The Martian

p.s. S.W.E.D. forever!!!! Start spreadingthe word of SWED. If you want to know what it stands for: listen toThe Cronic(by Dr. DRE). Its at the very end of one of his songs.

Posted by an emailer on 14-May-2001 12:00AM CDT

May 14, 2001

ok i wasn't gonna right you guys got it but some got it mixed up

ok smurfs live in mushrooms because when u eat musrooms (aka the smurfs house) the smurfs have no where to hide thus u see lil blue men when ur trippin

gargamel not the police quite the contrary hes a drug dealer look at himm all cracked out and dirty and hes not always lookin for the smurfs hes mostly looking for their village

and the gold thing if a drug dealer find shrooms he'll turn them into gold by srllin thanx for you time and this site

Posted by an emailer on 24-May-2001 12:00AM CDT

May 24, 2001

i say your site thought you like to here a few more cartoon drugies just thought i'd mention some other drug/cartoon caracters such as "mary jane" or "MJ" spiderman's girlfriend not to mention the fact he can walk on walls and shoot spider webs or at least in his mind any way(i think his pot was laced)

and of course scooby doo and shaggy. the smoke in the van in the begining and they always have the munchies and come on shaggy eats scoobie snacks all the time youd have to be stoned to do that and besides they're always paranoid' and sneaking away from the rest of the group (to smoke a doobie). To top that off shaggy talks to his dog its obvious the guys been smokin the stuff hardcore since he was 15 the guy is the definition of a burnout nothin but road trips and gravity bongs for this guy.

The Joker You would have to be trippin' to wear clothes that psychadelic. After getting beat up every day, he is still laughing. He can't even stop that huge smile, because he is so high. I think him and the Riddler have parties and smoke out together.

Speedy Gonzales [Yippa Yippa Needa Las Drugas!!!] This guy has had way too much speed. He's even named after it. Has this rat ever gotten tired? Gargamel (From the Smurfs) Most likely LSD or acid. Spends his life in pursuit of little blue guys in sissy white outfits and mentally abusing his cat. What does he plan to do with the blue dwarfs when he catches them anyway?

Olive Oyl Probably Dexatrim abuse, maybe some amphetamines. Who is that skinny?! She might even be anorexic, she is always giving her burger to her friend. Popeyes on PCP and marijuana his "spinach" is the source of all his strength. much like PCP it makes him stronger he no longer feels any pain. Bluto (popeyes rival) is on steroids just look at the guy need i say more.and wimpy (the fat guy eating hamburgers)is a pothead and if you ever met him you could instantly identify him as a burnout.

there are many more these are just the tip of the iceberg

Posted by an emailer on 24-May-2001 12:00AM CDT